Sunday, December 30, 2012

Triple Chocolate Fudge

Every Christmas my mom would make batches and batches of this fudge. It seemed like she did nothing but make fudge for a whole week in December. We put it in little holiday bags and my brother and I delivered it to neighbors, teachers, bus drivers, etc. I've continued the tradition and it's still one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.
 

 
Start by putting 4 cups of sugar, 1 can of evaporated milk, and a full stick of butter in a big pot.

 
Add two squares of unsweetened baking chocolate. We always used Baker's.
 
 
Heat everything on a med-high heat, stirring frequently.
 
 
Once the mixture starts to boil, set the timer for eight minutes.

 
After a few minutes it will start to darken and thicken. Continue to stir, or else the bottom will burn.
 

 
After eight minutes, the mixture will look like this. It will also smell amazing :)
 
Ok, I have a confession to make. Despite the fact that I have made this a million times, I decided to do it differently this time and I was wrong. For some reason I had it into my head that it was the marshmallows that made the fudge stiff to stir so I decided to mix in the chocolate chips first. Big mistake. The chips stiffened the fudge even more quickly and instead of pouring out, I had to scoop out the fudge and plop it onto the cooling pan. So...don't do that. lol. My husband did say the fudge tasted more chocolately done this way so it wasn't ruined, but it was not the stuff of tradition.
Anyway, the next step in the process is to mix in one bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, one bag of milk chocolate and one bag of marshmallows.
 

 
When you're done, pour (or plop) the fudge into a buttered jelly roll pan as quickly as possible to keep it from setting before you've spread it out.


Spread the fudge to all corners of the pan. Then, eat the fudge leftover in the pot and on the spoon. That's the best part--it's warm and delicious!

 
Wait for the fudge to cool and then cut it into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment