Thursday, December 6, 2012

Simply Delicious Chili

This is my favorite chili recipe. I actually used to hate chili, I think because most of the chili I'd eaten was full of green peppers. Then, when I was in college, a lady from church had a bunch of the college kids to her house for dinner and she made an amazing chili. I had several helpings and she even gave me leftovers. I asked for her recipe but she told me that she just threw it together without one, so one day I went over before dinner to help make it. What follows is a variation on her recipe. I still don't measure things, but it's simple to make and I've included photos, of course!
 
Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 Medium Onion
1 can Refried Beans
1 can Tomatoes
1 can Red Beans, rinsed and drained
Approx. 1/4 bottle of ketchup
Black Pepper, Garlic Powder
Ground Red Pepper
Cumin, Salt
And of course...Chili Powder
 
 
Start by browning the meat in a skillet. Drain it, then add the meat and onions to a large pot. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
 
 
Shake each of the spices over the meat, covering it from side to side. I usually add only a few dashes of salt, but I use copious amounts of the other spices. It may look like a lot, but this makes a lot of chili and you will most likely end up adding more.
 

Add rinsed and drained red beans, tomatoes and refried beans. Stir ingredients together.
Next, add ketchup. I usually take the lid off and squirt two big glops to start off with. Mix it up and taste it. The ketchup adds color, texture and flavor. It makes the chili a bit sweet. If you feel it's not sweet enough after two glops, add a little more until you are satisfied.

 
In the end, it should look about like this. If it is too thick, add a can of water, otherwise, it's ready!
 

 
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some Jiffy cornbread muffins. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment