Thursday, February 21, 2013

Health(ier) Spicy Egg Salad

I'm not sure how healthy mustard is, but I know mayonnaise is not healthy and that is what I took out of this egg salad recipe.
 
 
Start by boiling the eggs. I used nine eggs for this recipe, mainly because I accidently broke the first three in the box. I was going for a dozen. Put the eggs in a pot of water, bring it to a boil and boil 8-10 minutes. To make sure the eggs are done, I usually pull one out with a spoon, run it under cold water and crack and peel to make sure the middle is cooked. When the eggs are cooked, a good way to cool them down enough to peel is to dump half the water, add cold water, dump half, add more cold, etc.
 
 
Peel the eggs.
 
 
I like peeling them all at once. I also really like this photo. There wasn't much to say about it, but here it is!
 

I make about four or five cuts across the top of the egg down to the midway point and then do the same thing in the other direction so it makes a checkerboard pattern.
 

One of the chunks fell out of the middle, but you get the idea. Once you finish the top half, cut it horizontally and add the pieces to the bowl, then repeat with the second half.



Add salt, pepper, mustard and yogurt to taste. I used about a tablespoon of mustard and two tablespoons of yogurt (half of a 6oz container).


To add some spice and flavor, I also added salsa--about 1/4 cup. In the past I've really enjoyed egg salad with garlic powder and relish. I don't know if that sounds good to you--it certainly didn't to me--but my husband made it for me and refused to tell me what was in it until I'd eaten it. :) It was delicious! I should say it was his mother's homemade relish so that probably helped. If you have any other ideas, let me know!







1 comment:

  1. "I know mayonnaise is not healthy"
     
    Oh I don't know, I think you are giving it a bad rap. It wouldn't be that difficult to find a recipe for a "healthy" mayo. Check on Pinterest...  ︶︹︺

    ReplyDelete