Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

 
I love breakfast casseroles but I usually don't have a lot of time in the morning to make a fancy breakfast. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made the night before in the crock pot and be ready when you wake up. I got this recipe from Pinterest. It was pinned from www.alattewithotta.com. I tweaked it a bit because I love bacon and cheese and I didn't think there was enough in the original recipe.


My husband wanted to help, so he cooked the bacon first. I do not recommend using a George Foreman for this. We'd seen his Mom do it and I don't know if hers was a different grill or what, but it took FOREVER for the bacon to cook since it couldn't sit in its own fat. We cooked the whole package of bacon to use later but we only put about 10 strips in the casserole (the original called for 8-10). When I make this again, I will probably add even more bacon. You can never have too much!
 

 
The casserole is layered. The first layer is frozen hash browns, followed by sauteed garlic and onion, then bacon, then cheese.
 
 
When you're done, it should look like this. It just about filled my crockpot, which is a 4qt, I believe.


Next step is to mix together 12 eggs, 1 cup milk, salt and pepper. The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp of each but I just eyeballed it. I love salt and pepper.

 
Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.
 
It looks pretty gross, but it will taste so good!

Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 8-10 hours. I did about 9 and it was perfect. The edges were a little burnt, but that's to be expected.

In the morning it will look like this. Again, this isn't being made for its aesthetic qualities.

Just scoop it out and enjoy!
 
All in, all this was a good recipe. It was tasty, when I added extra cheese and bacon. It's really to your own taste as to how much of that you want to put in, though. The best part is it's easy and it's great to wake up to!
 
Here is the recipe:
 
10 (or so) strips of bacon                    1 bag (2lb) frozen hash browns    1 c milk
1 onion, peeled and chopped              1 bag (8oz) shredded cheese         salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced      12 eggs
 
1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
2. Cook bacon til crisp. Cut into pieces.
3. Saute onion and garlic
4. Layer ingredients, starting with hashbrowns and ending with cheese: 1/3 hash browns, 1/3 bacon, 1/3 onion garlic, 1/3 cheese, repeat.
5. In large bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
6. Pour egg mixture over crockpot. Cover and turn on low. Cook 8-10 hours.


10 comments:

  1. Made this with chopped ham and the frozen hashbrowns with peppers! My family ate it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll have to try it with ham--that sounds great!

      Delete
  2. How many people will this recipe feed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote the post below without being really sure but I've had it again since then and I think I underestimated. We had six adults and four kids eat it and there was still 1/3 left so I'd say more like 8-10

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You can. I'd never done it before so I tried it. The eggs don't taste as good reheated but overall it's still doable.

      Delete
  4. Noticed I'm a yr. or 2 late on this, but thought I'd try for an answer! If I use crumbled sausage, like Jimmy Dean, instead of bacon, do you think it would still need to be cooked before adding to crock pot? Don't want to dry it out, but definitely needs to be totally done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my recipe, but I would cook the sausage first, if only to be able to drain the fat to ensure it didn't turn out greasy.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete